Pre-operative assessment (POA) clinic
We see patients who will be having a planned operation at King’s. We assess your fitness for surgery and provide the information you need to help you prepare for your procedure.
Safersleep Health Questionnaire
If you are referred to us, we will send you an email with an electronic health questionnaire for you to complete. This health questionnaire must be completed for you to be given a date for your surgery. You will be given a token code and a link to take you to the questionnaire. The token is only valid for 48 hours.
You will be able to complete the questionnaire on a PC, tablet or smartphone. We suggest you use Safari, Microsoft Edge, Firefox or Chrome as your browser. The questions are mainly to be answered ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ with some minimal free text.
For medications or previous surgery please click on the ‘+ Add new row’ button to add your information. You can add as many lines as required.
When you have completed the questionnaire, please click on the green ‘Submit’ button at the very bottom of the page. This will let us know that you have completed the questionnaire.
If you need to make changes once the document is submitted, you can unsubmit the document by clicking on the ‘Submit’ button again and following the instructions. Please remember to submit the document again once you have made your changes.
After you complete and submit your health questionnaire, it will be reviewed by one of the pre-operative assessment nurses. After this review:
- You will be assessed as fit for surgery and you will receive information via email or post
- The nurses may want to call you to clarify something on your health or to arrange a blood test
- If you have multiple health conditions, you will be asked to attend a face to face pre-admission assessment at a future date. The admissions team will contact you to arrange this.
If you have any queries or are unable to complete the form, please email us at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 020 3299 6717 or 020 3299 3025.
Before your appointment
- Check your appointment letter to see what you need to prepare for your appointment.
- Have a list of any current medications you take.
- Please note that patients under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- If you need to change or cancel your appointment, or you have any questions, phone us on 020 3299 3025 or email: email@example.com
If you do not attend your pre-operative assessment, it may delay your operation date.
If your appointment is by video:
- your appointment letter will indicate that your appointment is to be a video appointment
- you will be sent a link for your appointment 15 minutes before your appointment time
- it is possible the video assessment will show you need to come into hospital for a routine test or a face to face assessment. If this happens, the nurse will arrange this for you during the video call.
If your appointment is by phone:
- please make sure you are in an appropriate place for discussing your medical history
- one of our nurses will call you, the call may appear with no caller ID
- it is possible the phone assessment will show you need to come into hospital for a routine test or a face to face assessment. If this happens, the nurse will arrange this for you during the phone call.
Face to face appointments
If your appointment is face to face at the hospital:
- your visit may include having tests, so please be prepared to spend up to two hours at your appointment
- if your assessment shows you are suitable for treatment you will be added to the waiting list for surgery. You should be offered a surgery date within a few weeks.
- if you have more complex medical conditions, you will be referred for an anaesthetic review. Your medical notes will be reviewed by an anaesthetist. Normally you will not need another appointment for this, unless the anaesthetist needs more information. If they do need more information, they will arrange a phone, video, or face to face appointment with you.
- if you are not currently fit for surgery, you will be referred back to your GP. They will organise the pre-surgery treatment you need before you are added to a waiting list.
- we make every effort to ensure that patients are seen at their appointment time, however this is not always possible, as it is difficult to predict how long each patient will need to spend with the nurse.
Our address is:
Surgical pre-operative assessment clinic
1st floor, Arthur Levin Building (Day Surgery Centre)
King’s College Hospital
POA Delivery Manager: 020 3299 6717
POA admin: tel 020 3299 3025 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org