What we do
We provide treatment for a wide range of heart problems. This includes:
- coronary bypass surgery for blockages in the arteries of the heart. We use this to treat patients who have angina or a history of heart attacks. We perform beating heart bypass surgery as well as minimally invasive (keyhole) surgery in appropriate cases.
- repairing or replacing faulty heart valves. Our service for the repair of leaky mitral valves has excellent results and we pride ourselves on our high success rates.
- abnormal main blood vessel (aortic) surgery for dilatation, aneurysm or tears.
- thoracic surgery for lung tumours, including our highly successful percutaneous keyhole aortic valve replacement programme.
Preparing for your appointment
You do not need to prepare for your appointment. If you have any queries, please contact the Pre-assessment and Cardiac Health and Rehabilitation Team, tel 020 3299 3495.
Suite 6, First Floor, Golden Jubilee Wing, King's College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Outpatient appointment queries: +44 (0)20 3299 1919
Conditions we treat
Our service treats:
- coronary artery disease
- aortic valve stenosis or regurgitation
- mitral valve stenosis and regurgitation
- diseases of the thoracic aorta
- percutaneous aortic valve surgery for high-risk patients
- complications of coronary disease, such as ventricular aneurysm, septal defects and ischaemic mitral regurgitation
- atrial fibrillation
- endocarditis of heart valves and prosthesis.
Booking a patient at King's
GPs should refer via NHS e-referral (e-RS) wherever possible.
Other ways to refer
Refer via e-RS.
For suspected cancer, refer via the two week wait pathway.
For emergencies, speak directly with the on-call registrar by calling King's switchboard on 020 3299 9000, bleep 946.
Contact the consultants, their secretaries or our Surgical Admissions Manager on 020 3299 4054.
Key Clinical Staff
|Ms Sr Debbie Andersen||Surgical Care Practitioner|
|Mr Max Baghai||Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon|
|Miss Megan Bryan||Lead Clinical Perfusion Scientist, Blood Management|
|Mr Bruno Claro||Clinical Perfusion Scientist – Trainee|
|Mr Jatin Desai||Hon. Consultant|
|Mr Ranjit Deshpande||Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon|
|Miss Maria Dyson||South London JCC MDT Coordinator|
|Miss Anna Eka||Cardiothoracic Surgical Care Pracitioner|
|Mr Lindsay John||Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon|
|Mr Habib Khan||consultant|
|Mr Neville Marshall||Deputy Head of Service/Perfusion Scientist|
|Mr Michael Martin||Perioperative specialist practitioner(Cardiothoracics)|
|Mrs Julia Newland||Clinical Perfusion Scientist|
|Miss Alia Noorani||Consultant Cardiac Surgeon|
|Mr Pedro Pires||Clinical Perfusion Scientist|
|Mr Shan Shanmuganathan||Specialist Registrar in Cardiothoracic surgery|
|Prof Olaf Wendler||Professor of Cardiac Surgery King's College London, Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon|
|Mr Donald Whitaker||Consultant|
|Mr Michael Whitehorne||Head Of Clinical Perfusion Science for the Trust|