What we do
We provide coordinated all-round support for people with diabetes which includes treatment and education.
Our specialist services include:
- pre-pregnancy clinics, antenatal and obstetric care
- complication management, including foot, renal, eye and neurological
- paediatric and young persons’ clinics
- an intensified insulin therapy service, including insulin pumps and the management of problematic hypoglycaemia.
We provide one-to-one help with starting on insulin; group and one-to-one education about how to self-manage diabetes; and group help with starting new therapies.
A unique feature is our liaison psychiatry service, which provides patients with psychological care as part of their overall treatment plan.
We are also one of only six UK centres offering islet cell transplantation for patients with type 1 diabetes and recurrent problematic hypoglycaemia.
Ground Floor, Venetian Building, Caldecot Road, SE5 9RS
- Diabetes Outpatient Appointments: +44 (0)20 3299 1919
- Outpatient clinic reception: +44 (0)20 3299 7419
- Outpatient clinic reception: +44 (0)20 3299 7420
Patient Information Leaflets
Conditions we treat
Our service has various clinics that deal with the following conditions:
- newly diagnosed type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- pregnancy complicated by diabetes (pre-existing or gestational)
- renal complications and associated hypertension
- autonomic neuropathy/gastroparesis
- erectile dysfunction
- post-transplantation diabetes
- lipid management
- diabetic foot ulcers, peripheral and autonomic neuropathy, ischaemic conditions, peripheral vascular disease.
We also offer DECS, liaison psychiatry, pre-pregnancy care, a full range of podiatry services and treatments, full supportive orthotic services, educational programmes for diabetes management, islet transplantation, DAFNE programme for type 1 diabetes and insulin pump therapy.
We are piloting the 3 Dimensions of Care For Diabetes (3DFD) programme for Lambeth and Southwark residents targeting people with difficult to control diabetes. Referral criteria for 3DFD includes poorly controlled diabetes for at least six months with HbA1c > 9% as well as social problems and/or psychological problems.
Diabetes outpatient clinics
We do not have an emergency walk-in clinic. However, if patients attend Monday-Friday they will be checked and triaged by clinic nurses to assess if they need to be seen urgently or if an appointment can be made to return to clinic or, if appropriate, a local community diabetes clinic.
Booking a patient at King's
GPs should refer via NHS e-referral (e-RS) wherever possible.
Other ways to refer
Non-GP referrals should be sent by email:
- Diabetic foot: kch-tr.DFReferrals@nhs.net
- Diabetic medicine: kch-tr.KCHReferrals@nhs.net
- GPs: use NHS e-Referral and state that the referral is urgent.
- Other referrers can make an urgent referral by contacting the Diabetes secretaries via the switchboard on 020 3299 9000.
Diabetes Outpatient Department, tel: 020 3299 8570
Diabetic Foot Clinic tel: 020 3299 3223
Diabetes Pregnancy Clinic, tel: 020 3299 1739 or contact the Diabetes secretaries via the switchboard on 020 3299 9000.
Diabetic eye screening is available at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust.
Key Clinical Staff
|Prof Stephanie Amiel||Professor of Diabetes/Consultant Physician|
|Miss Comfort Bright-Davies||Diabetes Specialist Nurse|
|Mr Edoardo Bruno Ventre||Diabetes Specialist Nurse|
|Dr Yee Seun Cheah||Consultant Physician and Diabetologist|
|Dr Pratik Choudhary||Consultant Physician|
|Dr Helen Cope||Locum Consultant Diabetes Liaison Psychiatrist|
|Mrs Alison Cox||Matron - Diabetes|
|Dr Nicole De Zoysa||Clinical Psychologist|
|Miss Geraldine Gallen||Senior Diabetes Specialist Nurse|
|Dr Carol Gayle||Consultant Physician, Clinical Lead for Diabetes|
|Dr Sophie Harris||Consultant|
|Dr Sophie Harris||Clinical Lead|
|Dr David Hopkins||Director, King's Health Partners Institute for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Obesity|
|Dr Kate Hunt||Consultant in Diabetes and General Internal Medicine|
|Prof Khalida Ismail||Consultant|
|Mrs Lynne Jerreat||Diabetes Specialist Nurse|
|Mx Kulvinder Kular||Diabetes Specialist Nurse|
|Dr Danielle Lewis||Consultant|
|Mrs Kaylee Lovie||Lead Diabetes Specialist Nurse|
|Dr Rifat Malik||Consultant|
|Dr Chris Manu||Consultant Diabetologist|
|Mrs Philippa Marks||Matron/Lead Diabetes Specialist Nurse|
|Dr Omar Mustafa||Consultant physician|
|Mrs Georgia Noble-bell||Diabetes Specialist Nurse|
|Mr Sahra Osman||Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurse|
|Mrs Claire Pengilley||Diabetes specialist nurse|
|Mrs Helen Rogers||Nurse Consultant: Diabetes|
|Prof Francesco Rubino||Chair of Bariatric and Metabolic surgery|
|Mrs Sini Sheejo||Diabetes specialist nurse|
|Miss Anna Vanderpuye||Diabetes Specialist Nurse|
|Dr Prash Vas||Consultant in Diabetes and Diabetes Foot Medicine|
|Dr Min Zhao||Senior Islet scientist|