Special care dentistry – hospital based
What we do
We care for patients who need hospital dental and/or oral healthcare treatment. This includes providing dental care for plus-size patients (bariatric dentistry). We offer a full range of sedation: inhalation, intravenous and general anaesthesia.
We assess and treat patients with one or more of the following:
- Physical disability
- Complex medical conditions
- Learning disability
- Severe dental phobia/anxiety
- Severe mental health conditions
What to expect at your first appointment
We will assess you at your first appointment. This may include having x-rays. We will discuss the results with you and decide what treatment you need. You may need to come to another appointment for treatment.
Preparing for your appointment
Please bring the following to your first appointment, where we will assess what you need:
- Your appointment letter
- A list of any medicines you are taking
- Details of any doctors or healthcare professionals caring for you
- A list of questions you want to ask
If you choose to have your treatment under intravenous sedation, watch our 2-minute film about how to prepare for this and what to expect. Also read the 'IV Sedation' leaflet (below) for more details:
Third floor, Dental Institute, King's College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Main Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 4988
- Cancel/change an outpatient appointment: +44 (0)20 3299 4988
- Questions about your treatment: +44 (0)20 3299 4988
Patient Information Leaflets
- Intravenous sedation for treatment in the community special care dentistry service
- Dental radiology (adult patients)
- Dental radiology (child patients)
- Having general anaesthetic for dental treatment (easy read)
- Having inhalation (gas) sedation for dental treatment (easy read)
- Having intravenous sedation for dental treatment (easy read)
- Having your teeth checked at the dentist (easy read)
- Having your teeth cleaned at the dentist (easy read)
- Having your tooth filled at the dentist (easy read)
- Having your tooth removed (extracted) at the dentist (easy read)
Conditions we treat
For full information about the conditions we treat, please refer to the 'Guidance notes for Special Care Dentistry Referrals' pdf below.
You should follow the guidelines carefully and then ensure that you complete all the required sections on the 'Special Care Dentistry Referral Form' below.
What is required before referring a patient
Radiographs/photos, if appropriate, sent using one of the channels listed under routine referrals.
Booking a patient at King's
Referrals must be made using the referral form below, accompanied by radiographs/photos where appropriate. Electronic referrals are preferred. Please email via an NHS Mail account.
Post: King’s College Hospital Dental Waiting List Office, Bessemer Road, London, SE5 9RS
Post: Community Special Care Dental Referrals, Coldharbour Works, 245a Coldharbour Lane, London SW9 8RR
We do not accept urgent or out of hours referrals.
For suspected cancer use the 2 week wait referral pathway.
Any queries about the referral process should be directed to the central team on 020 3299 4988 (9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday) prior to submission of the referral form.
Please complete the relevant form and note any pre-consultation investigations required:
Key Clinical Staff
|Ms Sarah Buckingham||Consultant|
|Dr Eimear Carr||Senior Dentist|
|Dr Charlotte Curl||Consultant in Special Care Dentistry|
|Dr Julie Edwards||Consultant|
|Miss Sukina Moosajee||Consultant in Special Care Dentistry|
|Ms Samina Nayani-Low||Locum Consultant|
|Dr Ria Prasad||Consultant|
|Dr Sobia Rafique||Consultant in Special Care Dentistry|